Eco log cabin refers to a smaller log house with more rustic look that is constructed in such a way so it can have minimal impact on the environment. The cabin is made by stacking the logs horizontally to form exterior and interior walls. It is often built as part of environment project.
Eco log cabin offers a lot of benefits with a dash of cons. Let’s know both to understand more about log cabin.
- Having or building a log cabin is much cheaper than that of brick home. The materials such as split white pine for the construction will also be very inexpensive.
- Since log cabin is made with logs or woods, it is greener or more environment friendly.
- Log cabin does not only give an aesthetic look but also possesses an added benefit of smelling nice.
- It can offer a much better ventilation that makes the house circulate air properly. It also helps prevent leaks.
- If you’re savvy with the wood types used to build your house and if you make sure it’s treated and sealed properly, then you can expect the materials to last longer. If you choose proper and right log material for the construction, then it can resist decay or insect infestation for longer time.
- Logs can act as natural sound insulator. It means, your house will have in-built sound protection from irksome exterior noises.
- You can finish the interior walls with wall board to let the surfaces be papered or painted greener.
- It is very energy efficient and can save electricity bills to a great extent.
- Using hand crafted wood in log cabin can lead to wood popping ad cracking since new wood has such cons. To avoid it, make sure you treat the log at the earliest opportunity.
- Log can shrink naturally overtime. Although the shrinkage rate in bigger wood construction is very low, but you cannot stop the process. But you can fix the issue by caulking between the woods continuously.
- Log cabin is not really a great option when it comes to natural insulation. Hence, you have to consider installing added insulation if you want your home to be insulated. Also without it, your cabin may get very cold in winter or very hot in summer.
- carpenter ants or bumble bees, termites, beetles and woodpeckers can make their homes as well as feed on the wood which can cause harm to it.
- Difficult to wire with electricity.
- You have to stain or seal the logs every 3 to 5 years for their protection. This will help them fight moisture buildup. Moreover, it will also help prevent the logs from drying out so that they can resist splitting or decaying.
Extra tips to know
- Make sure to use wool of sheep in place of fiberglass in between logs for insulation. It’s because such wool has neither petrochemical ingredients nor it can undergo a harmful manufacturing process unlike other materials.
- Dead timber is one of the most eco-friendly means of building up a log cabin rather than using live trees.
- It will be great to utilize recycled or reclaimed wood material for log cabin.
- To enjoy energy efficiency, take advantage of natural mass and battery-like characteristics of log cabin.